Learning Stuff

I read a post about science writing by someone who didn’t think she’d ever go there. It resonated with me, because here I am, a German lit major, teaching science. It’s been a fascinating opportunity to expand my horizon. 

After raising three kids, while putting in enough time as a mail carrier to collect a pension, I dusted off my education degree, and became an after-school science instructor. I’ve learned a lot. This past winter we’ve connected phone systems, interacted with robots, applied Newton’s three laws of motion, studied fish, investigated power sources, and more. Last year, we focused on outer space. It’s always interesting. It's only an hour day and sure makes me appreciate the teachers who crowd-control, educate, and nurture day in and day out. And, did I say I’m learning stuff?  


No comments:

Recent Posts

Reading Kate Morton

Kate Morton’s one of my favourite novelists. Her latest novel, Homecoming, had been on my TBR pile for a while. I’ve really lost myself in ...