Chinese Checker Lessons

Back to meandering - my favorite kind of being - just sort of wandering, not driven in any one direction, but enjoying the moment for what it is.

Okay, if that doesn't make sense, just ignore. Posting here once a week gives me a wee link to the big world of the internet, keeps me connected in a small way.

I'm just back from a trip out west - to beautiful B.C. - where I spent hours leafing through old photo albums, listening to intriguing family stories, and playing game after game of chinese checkers. What I learned from the checkers is that there's always a time of being muddled, and then suddenly, a path opens up and everything becomes easier. Persistence, as always, is the key.

The other thing I learned from chinese checkers is that you shouldn't count on your opponent too much. Sure, they can help you set up a great forward jumping pathway - but they can also mess you up. My 84 year old aunt was a great 'Halma' (the German word for chinese checkers) player. But she was an even better story teller. (She made a pretty good vegetable soup, too!)

My exciting announcement is that The Kulak's Daughter has been awarded silver in the Moonbeam Awards competition (historical fiction category). Maybe, it'll help the sequel get published. In any event, it's boosted my confidence and I'll continue to meander through the musty past, looking for story.

3 comments:

Barrie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is FANTASTIC news, Gabe!

P. J. Grath said...

Hello, Gabe. I am a bookseller in Northport, Michigan, and stumbled by happy accident on your blog this evening. I got so excited reading about your book that I went right to my distributor order page and put it on my next order. Should have it by Monday! And congratulations on your silver!

Gabriele Goldstone said...

That sure warms an author's heart. Thanks so much for your interest! I hope that readers in Northport will also find the book worthwhile - esp. if there's a GermanRussian population.

Recent Posts

A Purple Light

Our city glowed purple this past week thanks to a national epilepsy awareness campaign. A long time friend and member of my writing group, ...