My Town Monday - The Harte Trail


I’m going to try following and participating in the ‘My Town Monday’ blog by Travis Erwin. While I don’t live in a high profile place like San Diego or NYC , I shall try to prove that my town is every bit as interesting. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba – pop. about 700,000. It’s a place where currently there are way more mosquitoes than humans (excuse me while I swat, scratch, and temporarily go mad).

Let me start off close to home on the Harte Trail. It’s 6.5 kilometers long (about 3 miles). This former CP Rail line (built in 1894) is part of the Trans Canada Trail. My dog and I explore it on an almost daily basis. There’s no motorized traffic allowed on the trail and this makes it a calm escape from city life.


This morning’s sensory delights included: seeing five or six deer munching in a brilliant yellow canola field, hearing frogs croak their little lungs out, tasting the first ripening Saskatoon berries, feeling the sweet south wind in the open areas, and smelling the delicate scent of the pink wild roses. (I think that includes all five senses!) There’s always something new on this trail as it cuts through a farmer's field, prairie grasses and trees, which include aspen, Siberian elm, chokecherries, and also Saskatoon bushes.

Because of the heavy rains this spring, mallard ducks continue to hang out in puddles that normally dry out. Sometimes I hear woodpeckers loudly knocking on wood, and there’s often a rabbit scurrying across the trail. (This is where I must hold tight to that leash!)

Joggers, bike riders, and dog walkers all use the trail. Exercising in a natural setting on an historic trail, which is part of a national trail system, makes ‘my town’ a great place. If you ever do decide to trek across Canada, via foot or bike, make sure you stop by. We can watch a prairie sunset together. Just don’t forget the bug repellent!*


*Or hike/bike in the fall - when it's bug-free and even more perfect!

7 comments:

Barrie said...

GREAT post! Welcome to My Town Monday, Gabe!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Wonderful post about an interesting area.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Winnipeg sounds great! Love to visit it someday.

Clare2e said...

Great intro to MTM- okay, I'm sold on Winnipeg!

Barbara Martin said...

Saskatoon bushes: something not found in Ontario, and I miss those little tasty berries so much.

I'm looking forward to your posts about Winnipeg, a place filled with history.

Barrie said...

Hope you enjoyed My Town Monday!

Gabriele Goldstone said...

Thanks for inviting me, Barrie. It was fun and I look forward to posting more about my town and reading more about other towns. Great way to travel, I'd say!

Recent Posts

Puzzling Memories

My aunt who inspired 'Marthe' in Crow Stone Crow Stone was inspired by my mom who died back in 2011 at the age of 92. I’d been coll...